Sunday, September 12, 2010

...There's something wrong with my phone!...


New Edition - Mr. Telephone Man
Uploaded by jpdc11. - Watch more music videos, in HD!



Oh New Edition…and I thought I didn’t have much in common with these guys. But we do, the feeling of rejection…

Rejection is something I’ve always had a hard time dealing with…in all aspects of my life…guys, family, friends…so its no wonder why I often feel a little “salty” about the job search process, more specifically the lack of communication from employers. In my opinion, it only seems right that once you have applied for a position, you should receive some sort of notification letting you know your application or resume was received and then, once you have been denied (*side eye*), someone sends you a little email stating that someone with “better qualifications” was chosen for the position. I mean, I have, in the past, received those letters, however, I have NOT received more than I HAVE received. And I must be honest, it doesn’t do much for the self-esteem…

But even worse than that, is a “no call back” from an interview. SMH. I’ve had this conversation many times with fellow job hunters and it is pretty much a consensus that yes, it happens frequently and yes, it’s rather frustrating. Multiple questions and regrets arise:

“Did I say something wrong?”

“I should have answered that question differently!”

“Was it my outfit?!”

“Was last night's dinner stuck in my teeth?”

“Do I remind him of his psychotic ex-girlfriend?”

A friend and I once described it as feeling like a one night stand…the kind where you did not know you were a one night stand. You know, the kind where you thought you were going to get a call back, maybe not the next day, but eventually…And maybe you were planning on being the “rejecter” and the one to decide that whatever it was that you two (or three, I don’t judge…) had was going to cease. However, you didn’t even get a chance to reject that person, or in this case, decline their job offer.

I do not have expert advice on how to deal with this feeling (although I may in the future), but I do know that in my own experiences I have made it my duty to remain positive. It’s the best option. Don't dwell on it, but keep moving forward. Do not let it serve as a hindrance but a motivation (soooo cliché, I know. But it’s true!)…becoming disgruntled about why you haven’t been called back only occupies mental space that you need to figure out how you are going to bum your next meal, I mean, for real…

Oh…and its NOT your phone, no need to call Verizon…

1 comment:

  1. Ugh! I was just thinking this. I hate the feeling of not hearing anything. You know the saying, "no news is good news"? Well, that's just a lie. No news from potential employers is simply prolonged awkward silence. = / And I know exactly what you mean about not even getting the chance to be the rejecter lol.

    I have to say that forcing positivity into my thought process even when I'm stressed, angry and doubtful has definitely helped keep me moving forward (even in the absence of motivation). You're right, a positive outlook is essential.

    ReplyDelete